Monday, April 27, 2009

Greenhouse 101


Yesterday I took advantage of the nice weather and did all the prep work for getting my greenhouse ready to plant for this season. Last year was my first year growing fruits and veggies and I was very happy with the results. I must have a little bit of a green thumb. This is all what I learned from last year......
1. Put down a weed blanket on the floor of the greenhouse to prevent grass and weeds from growing. If you can afford it, add river stone on top of your blanket for a nice greenhouse floor.
2. Bug intervention: Make a homemade soap red pepper cayenne spray.
3. Bug prevention: Grow garlic and marigolds too.
4. Bigger surface space is needed to grow bigger fruits and veggies.
4. Layer the dirt : stones, sand, and then good soil.
5. Veggies- Flowers grow after the veggies are picked
6. Fruit- Flowers grow first and that is how you know where your fruit will grow.
7. Water at lease every other day.
8. Apply plant food once a week. I use Jack's Classic All Purpose 20-20-20 with micronutrients water soluble plant food.
9. Purchased a rich blend of Potting Mix composed of composted cow manure, peat moss, aged pine bark and perlite....in hopes to provide more nutrients and prevent weeds from growing.
Last year I grew strawberries, tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, bell peppers, sweet banana peppers, spinach, lettuce, onions, oregano, cilantro, parsley, scallions, sweet basil, and cucumbers. This year I hope to try blueberries, raspberries, scallions, and garlic.

No comments: